Friday, July 9, 2010

Static Shack 7/8/10


B3in' it
Originally uploaded by Dan Holmes Group
Today marked a surreal experience for me. Let me explain why: In 1991, I first heard a song on the Bob and Tom Show featuring a comedian named Sam Kinison. Then in 1992, Sam sadly passed away. I was aware that the song I had heard him sing on was not his. Fast forward to 1999. Duke Tumatoe contacts me about joining his group. I quickly realized the song I remembered Sam Kinison singing while I was in high school was Duke's tune, "Tie You Up". Fast forward to 2010. Today, I find myself putting an organ, piano, and vocal track down with Sam singing over the top of me. The old track needed to be tightened up a bit for a future release, so I had a chance to play with a comedian who hasn't been on this earth for more than 18 years.
Very surreal, but cool.