Sunday, December 23, 2018

Rockey’s Piano Bar Houston 12/22/18


‘Twas the gig before Christmas, and all through the club, 
Not a creature was quiet, not even the sub;
The stockings were worn by the women with care,
In hopes that dance shoes soon would be there;

The children were nestled all snug in their beds;
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;
And women on the dance floor, and I with my mic,
Had just settled our brains for drum beat by Mike,

When out on the stage there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my bench to see what was the matter,
Away to high keys with a hit and a bash,
Tore down my solo and I played like the Flash.

A tattoo on the arm of the dude at my show,
Gave a gesture of delight to his request I did know, 
When what to my wondering ears did appear,
But a singing crowd, after each passing beer, 

With a partying crowd so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment some might get sick.
More tunes by the Eagles and others they came,
And we whistled, and shouted, and called them by name:

"Now, Journey! now, Elton! now Elvis and Killers!
On, Hanson! on, Britney! on, Snoop Dog and Spice Girls!
To the top of the song! As chairs start to fall!
Now dance away! Dance away! Dance away all!"

And then, on the dance floor , I heard rhythmic proof
The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.
As I drew in my head, and was singing a round,
Those people shook their money makers down!

I was dressed all in jeans, and a holiday shirt,
And my T was all black like ashes and soot;
A bunch of songs I had played like “Sexy Back”,
And folks looked like they finished a six pack.

My eyes—how they twinkled! My dimples, how merry!
The tunes just like “Roses”, only got a little hairy!
My droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the requests were on paper as white as the snow;

The stump of a pencil held tight in their teeth,
And the songs, circled the air just like a wreath;
I had a broad face and a little round belly
That shook when I sang, like a bowl full of jelly.

I spoke not a word, but went straight to my work,
And filled all the ears; then turned with a jerk,
And laying my finger on top my iPad,
And giving a nod, a great time I had;

I sprang to my car, to the bar staff gave a whistle,
And away I flew like the down of a thistle.
But I turned and exclaimed, as I drove out of sight—
“Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!”