Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Shanahan’s Bar & Grille 12/31/18


Happy New Year! I drove three hours from my house to Montgomery, Texas, to perform a unique, four-hour dueling pianos show experience. The drummer, Eric Griffith, got my name third-hand (or maybe even fourth or fifth-hand) and booked me for this show last-minute, just a couple of days ago. I was told that I would be performing with a blind dueling piano player named Hayden Braun, but when I arrived in the smoky bar, Hayden informed me that he had never played a dueling show before, and that he primarily plays instrumental music and doesn’t sing much. Honestly, it made me a little nervous, but once the show started, everything went fine. Hayden is a great piano player, so he did an instrumental song after every song that I would sing. We bounced back-and-forth like that all evening long, and the crowd had a great time! Eric followed both of us on drums, and was solid. Other than the smokiness, I had a great time. I even had fans there from New Braunfels! Again, a happy New Year to all!